illocutionary "force"

Seth Kahn-Egan slkahneg at MAILBOX.SYR.EDU
Mon Aug 2 14:08:55 UTC 1999

Don't know if this is too far afield for what you're after, but Habermas'
_The Theory of Communicative Action_ does some interesting (controversial?
inventive?) things with Speech Act theory.

>Re C K Nelson's query below:
> P F Strawson (1971) Logico-Linguistic Papers. London: Methuen. Ch 8
>'Intention 		and Convention in Speech Acts' is relevant to this
>question.
>
>Tom
>

>>    Sorry for cross-postings, but I'm looking for bib. info. for
>>publications which comment on Austin's and Searle's use of the term
>>"force" when discussing illocutionary force or point.   Thanks in advance,
>>Christian Nelson
>

>Thomas Bloor
>Language Studies Unit
>Aston University
>Birmingham, UK
>B4 7ET
>
>Phone:0121 359 3611 xt 4212/4236
>Fax:0121 359 2725

Seth Kahn
PhD Student in Composition and Cultural Rhetoric
Syracuse University
109 Concord Pl.
Syracuse, NY 13210
315-474-9679 (home)
slkahneg at mailbox.syr.edu
"I'm as schizophrenic as a wet cat that's been beaten."--Kurt Cobain
"When we have nothing left to give, there'll be no reason for us to live.
When 				we got nothing left to lose, you will have
nothing left to use."--Fugazi
"I was talking when I should have been listening."--Husker Du
"Just put Rambo back inside your pants."--Dead Kennedys
"My dreams keep me awake.  I know they do this 'cause they tell me."--The Grays
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."--"Cool Hand Luke"
"If you hate something, don't you do it too."--Pearl Jam
"All I ever wanted was to be your spine."--Archers of Loaf
"Some peoples, they like to go out dancin'.  Other peoples, they have to
work."--Velvet Undergound
"I was saying 'Let me out of here' before I was even born."--Richard Hell
"I wanted to be a neo-Deconstructionist, but Mom wouldn't let me."--Calvin
and Hobbs
"You remind me of a TV show.  That's alright, I 'll watch it anyway."--The
Feelies
"Nothing could be plainer than the things that have been done, and there
can be no mystery in what is yet to come."--nomeansno
"Don't talk about it.  DO IT!!!"--Henry Rollins