scientific writing

Christian Kjaer Nelson cnelson at COMM.UMASS.EDU
Sat Aug 21 03:32:34 UTC 1999

> Dear all,
> could anyone point me in the right direction  re books or articles on
> scientific rhetoric or discourse? Specifically, the uses of modality
> and passives in such discourse.
> Thanks
> charles muirhead

You might want to try some of the books in the Rhetoric of the Human
Sciences series published by UW Press.  E.g., Charles Bazerman's _Shaping
Written Knowledge : The Genre and Activity of the  Article in Science_.
Seems like Gusfield might have touched on this, too, in his _The Culture of
Public Problems : Drinking-Driving and the Symbolic Order_ (an Illinois U
Press book) .

Christian Nelson