W.I. Thomas

Konopak jkonopak at OU.EDU
Mon Aug 23 17:38:25 UTC 1999

At 06:54 PM 8/22/99 -0500, Kate Hickerson wrote:
>Hi all--
>
>Could someone please point me to the work in which Thomas claims that
>situations must be defined and those choices have real consequences?
>
>Thanks
>Kate

i think it was in his book "Delinquent Girls" (? not real sure of the
title, but close to that)  published around 1920,--
it is in that work in which the specific formulation-- "That is real which
is real in its consequences" --is first articulated as what a former
(ethnography) prof called "Thomas' theorem." if that's what you
needed...hope it helps
cheers chers