Rhetorical Perspective

Peter Cramer pcramer+ at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Tue Feb 2 21:31:22 UTC 1999

Barney,

Re:  your comments below. . .

I don't think there's any doubt that rhetoric is a key part of the
Western Tradition, but I have the following questions:  1) Is rhetoric
only concerned with language?  2) Is rhetoric only concerned with public
discourse?  3) For a perspective to be considered rhetorical, must it be
realized in the classical Western model (handbooks, political and legal
applications)?

Peter

Excerpts from mail: 2-Feb-99 Rhetorical Perspective by John Bernard
Bate at MIDWAY