Rhetorical Perspective

Chaudhary, Mark Mark.Chaudhary at WESTGROUP.COM
Wed Feb 3 18:02:04 UTC 1999

mark.chaudhary at westgroup.com

				-----Original Message-----
				From:	Phil Gaines
[mailto:gaines at ENGLISH.MONTANA.EDU]
				Sent:	Wednesday, February 03, 1999 9:47 AM
				To:	DISCOURS at LINGUIST.LDC.UPENN.EDU
				Subject:	Re: Rhetorical Perspective

				Yes, I said that the Western model of
rhetoric is "only one" model, not "the
				only one".  Glad we got that cleared up.
Right, so what does Navajo
				rhetoric look like, I wonder?  And shouldn't
someone be writing a
				dissertation on rhetorical universals?

				Phil

				----------
				>From: David Samuels
<samuels at ANTHRO.UMASS.EDU>
				>To: DISCOURS at LINGUIST.LDC.UPENN.EDU
				>Subject: Re: Rhetorical Perspective
				>Date: Wed, Feb 3, 1999, 8:39 AM
				>

				>Maybe I'm misunderstanding Phil Gaines, but
why would a gloss of "rhetoric"
				>as "strategies of persuasion" mean that the
Western model is the only one
				>out there?  Don't Navajos ever try to
persuade each other?  (If you
				>conflate rhetoric and poetic, as many do,
does that mean that a Western
				>model of poetics is the only one
available?)