Fw: Reply to D.Samuels

Julie Ingleton julieip at DIESEL.NET.AU
Thu Feb 4 00:44:08 UTC 1999

Dear David Samuels, I  have had a chance to have a proper look your posting on Tues. 19th,

 You wrote, "I don't think that resolution is a prerequisite of either a narrative structure or for creativity to take place"
Niether do I, I didn't say reconciliation was a prerequisite for creativity, rather the other way round. I said " in order for there to be reconciliation, there needs to be creativity." I placed them, and numbered them correspondingly in reverse order , i was hoping to explain it better that way, i was wrong, clear as mud.

You wrote, "creativity always takes place,creativity is involved in saying 'goodmorning' to the milkman".
I understand what your saying, but...I think your taking it out of context,  the amount of concentration and effort that goes into 'creating' is immense compared to that of a few words with the milkman,  no matter what the attraction of  the milkman !    I think you understand what level of creativity i'm thinking of,   not chatting with the milkman; not a bit of cutting and pasting with the kids;  but  creating greater artwork, designing unique houses, composing music, dance, poetry, writing, ect.

You wrote, " One difference between linguistics and discourse, i think, is in there disparate judgements of what counts as 'the same' ( linguistics assuming that phonological, morphological, syntactic forms circulate wholly made, discourse investigating what accounts for that circulation and the ideology that the resulting forms are 'the same.') The non-purposive state is Kantian, and is, I think questionable from the standpoint of ethnography (since it implies that there is a place that transcends context for the creation of art)."

If I understand you correctly you are saying 'discourse' is examining ethnographically and the non-purposive state does not allow for this as  there is no evidence.

I'm saying that the conscious mind is learning from the creation,  thinking about the creation using a particular discourse. i.e. images or icons, and words to describe the same. The subconscious also recieves  the information using the same discourse, and the conscious remakes ideas using the same discourse. This discourse can be examined ethnographically, it can be spoken about, it can be labelled, it is not an illusive abstract idea, as it is about the actual creation.
I can imagine what your thinking about this. :)

Best wishes
Julie.