Rhetorical Perspective

Georgia Caver gcaver at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Thu Feb 4 15:27:48 UTC 1999

It seems to me that if we could get at exactly what's meant by
"rhetorically embellished" vs. 'no rhetoric at all," we'd be on to
something.  Does the notion of rhetoric as embellishment trivializes the
discipline?  Does the notion of "no rhetoric at all" or plain speaking
(you know, one of the most lingering complaints against Clinton is that
he's "too careful" with his language...) suggest that "real"
people--honest people, at least--don't "use" rhetoric.  I'd argue that
rhetoric is always "there" and that suggesting that one speaks or writes
with "no rhetoric at all" assumes a purity of thought/language/meaning
that exists outside the sontext of socialized communication.

oh well....have a nice day....

Georgia Caver