Rhetorical Perspective

Peter Cramer pcramer+ at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Thu Feb 4 21:13:29 UTC 1999

Like others, I'm troubled by the composition-as-content,
rhetoric-as-method conceptualization.  Seems to me that it may represent
a convenient conceptual grouping based on the common institutional
pairing of rhetoric and comp.  But I think its a curious way of trying
to resolve this difficult conflict:  how to describe rhetoric.

Also, I echo Seth's worries below, about describing rhetoric as an ACT
and as an OBJECT.  I mean, it can be useful to do describe it this way,
but I think it may miss important aspects.  Same with Vershawn's comment
about rhetoric as embodied.  If rhetoric is always the embodied and
situated ACT or always the OBJECT we talk about as "communication", then
what about rhetorical theory?  Presumably many of us in universities
spend time trying to describe and explain rhetorical acts:  Does that
make us "philosophers" and "scientists" of rhetoric?  That is, are we
positioning ourselves to describe it either in terms of *basic concepts*
or in terms of *natural phenomena*?   Are there alternatives?

Excerpts from mail: 3-Feb-99 Re: Rhetorical Perspective by Vershawn A.
Young at AOL.CO
> The mistake that is made is academic discussions and undertakings of rhetoric
> is that individuals seem to extract the act of rhetoric from its user.
> Rhetoric is an embodied phenomenon.  It cannot be understand outside of its
> particular context, nor outside of the rhetor who employed the
strategies that
> compose the rhetorical discourse in question.

Excerpts from mail: 4-Feb-99 Re: Rhetorical Perspective by "Seth L.
Kahn-Egan"@MAIL