Rhetorical Perspective

Seth L. Kahn-Egan slkahneg at MAILBOX.SYR.EDU
Fri Feb 5 18:49:43 UTC 1999

Re Peter's responses to my responses to Vershawn's responses to ...
(gasp!):

To me, the rub here is the notion that we're trying to describe rhetoric
as a thing/object--I'm not objecting so much to any particular
objectification, but rather to objectification in any way.  The problem
I'm having is largely syntactic--trying to answer the question "What is
rhetoric?" by saying "Rhetoric is ________" builds in syntactic
constraints that we respond in some kind of noun/adjective form.  I think
recasting the question somehow is the key to resolving this problem, but I
can't quite figure out how to ask it.

As for the argument that "rhetorical perspective" is redundant, I would
only say this--it depends on how "rhetorical" is being used.  From a
disciplinary point of view, there is a "rhetorical perspective" that may
be distinguished from a "discourse-studies perspective" or a "literary
perspective" or what have you.  I'm pretty well convinced that these
shifts in perspective result largely from self-imposed lexicon
constraints, but that doesn't change the fact that they happen.

Happy weekend to all.

Seth

Seth Kahn-Egan
Syracuse University
PhD Student in Composition and Cultural Rhetoric
slkahneg at mailbox.syr.edu
315-423-8042 (home)
"I'm as schizophrenic as a wet cat that's been beaten."--Kurt Cobain
"You are not what you own."--Fugazi
"You know, for the kids."--Tim Robbins, "The Hudsucker Proxy"
"Dave, I don't think that's a very good idea . . . Dave?"--HAL 9000
"Postmodernists don't agree with themselves."--Xin Liu Gale
"And what costume shall the poor girl wear to all tomorrow's
	parties?"--The Velvet Undergound
"I was saying, 'Let me out of here' before I was even born."--Richard Hell
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."--"Cool Hand Luke"
"It's Now that howls at nothing; it's Now that runs and hides; it's Now
	that winds its spineless coils and slithers out of sight."
	--nomeansno
"If you think you are the only one who got the joke, you shouldn't be
	laughing."--My horoscope for 1-27-99
"The objective of education is not the production of self-confident
	fools."--Jerome Bruner, _The Process of Education_