"experience" and narrative

Lucia Pawlowski c749504 at SHOWME.MISSOURI.EDU
Sun Feb 7 22:39:22 UTC 1999

To Dave et al,

Your idea (among the many appreciated ideas in your post) that we can
teach
language as metaphor to students appeals to me, and I am interested to
know how under this conceptualization you would deal with the problem you
yourself brought to bear on it with the Kristeva reference: the material
dialectic that truly underlies language as a system, whether its agent be
history or community, etc.  Does 'metaphor' account for this?  The way
metaphor has been presented to me "historically" (if I may) at least is
something that triggers a *universal* or *situationally transcendent*
complex of meaningful associations.  "Metaphor" as it is understood in
literature (these ideas may smack of the nineteenth century idealist
concept of metaphor, deliberately so because it seemed to be most in
currency then) seems to assume the same
human response will be illicited, in a web of (unequal) possibilities of
meaning, from a singular psychical trigger--the metaphor.  (whether it be
global threads of experience or Jung's "grid" underlying this idealist
notion--hopefully we've come up with something more than the model of
"universality.")

The insatiability of a semiology aside (I can't remember if I read this or
thought it up somehow on my own, but I mean by it, that associations
make the system beg infinitely more associations), I guess my question is
how you would
account for how students will engage in various constructions of the
signified's meanings--specifically, according to their experience and
situation, mainly social situation. Perhaps an acknowledgement of how such
*positioning* as a student constructs meaning would be useful in order to
account for how meanings are contingent not just on the word in its
textual or linguistic context, but the contingency of the relationship of
reader-writer on the "field" that bears on their experience ("field"
reference in Lindemann's article in the 1995 CCC symposium on "Literature
in the Composition Classroom."). I just wonder if with the approach of
"metaphor" you are taking on its idealist baggage of universal meanings.
I am all for language as metahpor, and I too have been wondering if this
consideration has anything to do with teaching it that way.  (Perhaps it
is only relevant when we are confronting language in a specific textual
universe).

Lucia Pawlowski
MA Rhetoric and Composition
University of Missouri-Columbia