discourse analysis & tutoring

doug sweet dsweet at BEST.COM
Thu Feb 11 00:22:52 UTC 1999

This is probably way off base for your needs, but "identity and authority"
construction perked my ears and I immediately thought, "Bakhtin." I know
he's been used and over-used for everything in the last decade, but I think
his stuff on constructing "authority" is incredibly helpful.  Speech Genres
and Other Late Essays:  pgs. 95; 149, 153
Dialogic Imagination: 294
And, Art and Answerability; The Formal Method in Literary Scholarship
and, Volosinov...Freudianism; Marxism and the Philosophy of Language.
Perhaps you're already aware of this stuff and have moved on?  Perhaps
you're using all this as your always/already base?  But on issues of
Author/authority...I find these rich.
Since you're working with tutors/tutees...and I was working with
instructor/student. Well, I found these helpful for my case.
Good Luck.
Please say "hi" to C. Jan Swearingen for me if you have occasion to see her.