Goffman

randall henry eggert rheggert at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Feb 18 19:42:42 UTC 1999

Seth Kahn-Egan's remarks are well-taken. I asked Cornish about his reasons
for doing the research because I could imagine that there are sound
reasons for analyzing your own speech.  Kahn-Egan articulated some of
those reasons in his first comment far better than I could have.

If there are pedagogical or other reasons for doing the research, that's
great.  However, what I was concerned about is doing this kind of analysis
on your own speech in order to learn more about discourse or framing.
Yes, by analyzing your own speech you may have access to the speaker's
inentions; however, the audience did not.  Personally, I think it would
be a grave oversight to overlook the role the audience has in discourse,
and I think that we do so when we concentrate on speaker intentions (as
was the tradition until fairly recently).  By analyzing our own speech, I
think we run a great risk of perpetuating this oversight.

We all know that we can never be completely objective when we analyze -
well - anything.  However, why compound that problem?

Happiness,
Randy Eggert