goffman

Stanton Wortham stantonw at GSE.UPENN.EDU
Thu Feb 18 23:58:04 UTC 1999

If you are interested in operationalizing Goffman, I have tried to do
this for one type of linguistic form that signals participants' footing,
namely deictics:

Wortham, S. 1996. Mapping participant deictics: a technique for
discovering speakers' footing. Journal of Pragmatics, 25, 331-348.

I also wrote a companion piece with Mike Locher, which enumerates
several other sorts of cues that often signal footing -- like
metapragmatic verbs, quotation, evaluative indexicals, etc.:

Wortham, S. & Locher, M. 1996. Voicing on the news: an analytic
technique for studying media bias. 1996. Text, 16, 557-585.
--
Stanton Wortham
Graduate School of Education