Introduction and request

Michelina Bonanno bonannom at GUSUN.GEORGETOWN.EDU
Sat Feb 20 13:11:57 UTC 1999

Hello everyone, My name is Michelina Bonanno, and I have a varied
background. My current research interests lie in the areas of
Doctor-Patient Communication, Discourse in the Medical Setting, Medical
Education (that is teaching physicians how to become better at
communicating with each other, and with their patients), Gender
differences in language usage, and how communiation in the medical setting
is affected when conversational stratigies are applied to the medical
interview. These interests lead me into the fields of Medical
Anthropology,and Medical Sociology as well as Sociolinguistics. My formal
training is in Sociolinguistics, and my specialization is doctor-patient
communication, role and gender.

In an effort to further investigate the medical environment, I became a
faculty member in a medical school last year, and I had the experience of
learning first hand about Medical Education. I am still affiliated the
East Carolina School of Medicine, and am currently working on a project
about communicating bad news to patients.

In my other life, I am a teacher of English as a Second Language, in our
intensive ESL program at Georgetown University, and have been for about 20
years. This gives me many insights into language acquisition, and cross
cultural differences. I love it!

Finally, I have a request to ask of you. This summer, I will be teaching a
graduate level Intro to Psycholinguistics course and I'm currently
looking for a textbook. The students in my class will be elementary and
secondary school teachers and the emphasis will be on the practical
application of psycholinguistic research to teaching settings. If any of
you have recommendations about a text for this course, I'd really
appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks a lot,
Michelina Bonanno

		 Wisdom lies neither in fixity nor in change, but in the
		    dialectic between the two.
						Octavio Paz 1989
   Michelina P. Bonanno, Ph.D
   Georgetown University / East Carolina University School of Medicine
   Intercultural Center 483
   Washington, D.C. 20057, USA
   Phone: (202) 687-5998
   E-Mail: <bonannom at gusun.georgetown.edu>