Textbook Suggestions

Nancy Patterson patter at VOYAGER.NET
Wed Feb 24 04:26:48 UTC 1999

I am taking a discourse analysis class right now at Michigan State.  The
text we are using is Casual Conversation by Eggins and Slade.

Nancy

At 01:47 PM 2/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
>putting out which touches a lot of bases, a bit too CA for my taste, which
>you might want to look into, although it struck me as advanced for an intro
>class.  They sent me the TOC, if people would like me to upload it to the
>list.
>
>In the past, for lx anthro (not specifically discourse) I've used Keith
>Basso's 1990 (91?) collection of essays in lx anthropology and Barbara
>Johnstone's "The Linguistic Individual."
>
>I like them both: the Basso because it's about Apache, and because the
>ordering of the essays moves starts with reference, but moves the reader
>away from semantics to metaphor to poetics, which is how I like to
>structure my introduction; The Johnstone because it presents, in a clear
>and well-written fashion (with the exception of ten very dense pages in the
>introduction) idiolect and style as central problems for understanding the
>circulation of discourse.
>
>I have to say, though, that my students have found Basso to be a dull
>writer, which surprises me, but I suppose I can see that there's a
>formalism to his style that they're reacting to; and they not to think
>they need the entire Johnstone book to get the point, which I think may
>be true.
>
>So I'm kind of looking around, too. In future, I'd probably select
>chapters of these.  Johnstone's chapter on the Texas Survey is
>brilliant, and her chapter on Barbara Jordan and Sunny Nash is a real
>good corrective to the "two cultures" approach to gender.
>
>Best,
>
>David
>
>-----------
>
>>I'd like to ask members of this list who teach undergraduate or
>>beginning graduate courses on Discourse Analysis, what textbooks they
>>use to organize their course around.  I've used Deborah Schiffrin's
>>(1994) _Approaches to Discourse Analysis_.  I'm also interested in
>>
>>Moses Samuel
>>

>David W. Samuels
>Assistant Professor
>Department of Anthropology
>212 Machmer Hall
>University of Massachusetts
>Amherst, MA 01003
>
>VOX: (413) 545-2702
>FAX: (413) 545-9494
>email: samuels at anthro.umass.edu
>http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~samuels/

Nancy G. Patterson

"To educate as the practice of freedom is a way of teaching that anyone can
learn."  bell hooks

patter at voyager.net
<http://www.msu.edu/user/patter90/opening.htm>
<http://www.angelfire.com/mi/patter/index.html>