Book suggestions still!

Zouhair Maalej zmaalej at GNET.TN
Sat Feb 27 16:55:18 UTC 1999

Hi all,

Thomas Bloor's post gave me the appetite to say a few things about
textbooks. But before that, I will reiterate with Bloor that one cannot
be satisfied with a single textbook. I had the same problem while
teaching grammar, and I ended up piecing together chapters from
different books. The reason for not relying on one book (which, I think,
is more than advisable) lies in the fact that some sections of many
books tend to be better worked out than others. I also agree with T.
Bloor that the "orientation of the course" is an important factor in
textbook choice. A course may be introductory (survey of different
trends within a given area of knowledge), advanced (where a professor
feels that students need to be exposed in detail to the main approaches)
or specialized (where, for instance, like in the case of T. Bloor, the
choice has been made to focus basically on the systemic-functional
perspective with probably a survey in the introduction to the course of
other perspectives).

I would suggest, to finish, a few major approaches to DA with ensuing
suggested textbooks by order of publication:

The Stylistic view:
- Leech, Geoffrey & Mick Short (1981). _Style in Fiction. A Linguistic
Introduction to
English Fictional Prose_. London/New York: Longman Group Ltd.
- Carter, Ronald & Walter Nash (1990). _Seeing Through Language. A Guide
to Styles of English Writing_. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Short, Michael (1996). _Exploring the Language of Poems, Plays and
Prose_. London/New York: Longman.
- Freeborn, Dennis (1996)._ Style. Text Analysis and Linguistic
Criticism_. London: Macmillan Press Ltd.
- Carter, Ronald, Angela Goddard, Danuta Reah, Keith Sanger & Maggie
Bowring (1997). _Working with  Texts. A Core Book for Language
Analysis_. London: Routledge.

The Hallidayan view:
- Halliday, M.A.K. (1994). _An Introduction to Functional Grammar_
(Second edition). London: Edward Arnold.
- Eggins, Suzanne (1994). _An Introduction to Systemic Functional
Linguistics_. London: Pinter Publishers.
- Bloor, Thomas & Meriel Bloor (1995). _The Functional Analysis of
English. A Hallidayan Approach_. London/New York/Sydney/Auckland:
Arnold.
- Martin, J.R., Christian M.I.M. Matthiessen & Clare Painter (1997).
Working with Functional Grammar. London/New York/Sydney: Arnold.
- Haynes, John (1989). _Introducing Stylistics_. London: Unwin Hyman.
(done with Halliday's theory)

The Critical Discourse Analytical view:

- Fowler, Roger & Gunther Kress (1979). "Critical Linguistics." In:
Roger Fowler, Bob Hodge, Gunther Kress & Tony Trew (eds.), _Language and
Control_. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 185-214.
- Fowler, Roger (1986). _Linguistic Criticism_. Oxford/New York: O.U.P.
- Fairclough, Norman (1989). "Critical Discourse Analysis." Parlance, 2:
1, 78-92.
- van Dijk, Teun A. (forthcoming). "Critical Discourse Analysis." To
appear in Deborah Tannen, Deborah Schiffrin & Heidi Hamilton (Eds.),
_Handbook of Discourse Analysis_ (in preparation). (Note that this paper
is available on the author's webpage).
I believe that CDA is not as furnished with textbooks as other trends
(Please correct me if I am wrong).

The Sociolinguistic view:
- Stubbs, Michael (1982). _Discourse Analysis: Sociolinguistic Analysis
of Natural Language_.Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Brown, Gillian & George Yule (1983). _Discourse Analysis_. Cambridge:
C. U. P.

The Pragmatic view:
- Levinson, S. C. (1983). _Pragmatics_. London: C.U.P.
- Green, Georgia M. (1989). _Pragmatics and Natural Language
Understanding_. New Jersey/London: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates
Publishers.
- Mey, Jacob L. (1993). _Pragmatics. An Introduction_. Oxford/Cambridge:
Blackwell.
- Grundy, Peter (1995). _Doing Pragmatics_. London/New York: Edward
Arnold.
- Thomas, Jenny A. (1995). _Meaning in Interaction. An Introduction to
Pragmatics_. London/New York: Longman.

Of course, these are, I think, the major trends, and I may have
forgotten lots of references. I did not mention Sciffrin (1994), Hatch
(1992), and Coulthard (1985) because it seems to me that I did talk
about them before.

Hope I did not bore.

Regards
Zouhair