Minimal units of hypertext

Kelli Cargile Cook ngack at TTACS.TTU.EDU
Fri Jan 8 23:01:11 UTC 1999

I've been considering Marty's questions as well, so I'll follow Karen's post
with some thinking aloud of my own.

Marty, you asked about the minimal units of discourse in hypertext....There
are obviously, many ways to "count" units (and many different
classifications of "units" to count).  Nevertheless, the first idea that
comes to me is either three or two....Three if you count writer, reader, and
text (broadly defined, a text can be any of those things Karen mentions:
screens, words, pictures, links), or two--text and writer/reader--if writer
and reader are the same person.

This definition leads to some obvious questions--can I discourse with myself
as I write?   I think I can and do....Karen's post seems to reflect a
similar internal "conversation."   And is the hermeneutic process I engage
in as a hypertext reader/writer discourse?  It depends on how we define
"discourse."  I read "text;"  I connect it with other "texts" (again broadly
defined); I interpret its meaning through joining in a conversation of sorts
with it and with the intertext I create for it/it creates for me.

Enough gnawing for now,

Kelli