Introduction

Magura the Yellow magura at SAURON.DEMO.PL
Sun Jan 10 12:37:47 UTC 1999

[gulp]
>Aha!  I knew it wouldn't be long before someone started analysing the
>discourse of the discourse list - good on you!  Keep us posted on your
>observations, won't you.
>
>:-)
>Georgina Heydon

huh...it didn't even take that long for me to join in :-) and i might as
well drop a not from time to time as I am interested in the phenomenon of
computer-mediated communication as well, and online discourse is just a
part of it. So I won't be trying to conceal the fact and I too was thinking
of making a research in discourse on the discourse list ;->. I did some
research in email exchanges a as a form of conversation as, especially as
they appear in mailing list discussions. However, my main concern are
synchronous chat modes.

So here I am :-) a not-THAT-shy guy from Poland wanting to share his
experience and knowledge (hmmm if any ;->) with others interested in the
study of discourse.
I have just graduated from the University of Silesia, Poland (Dep. of the
English Language, Institute of Linguistics). My thesis was about the
language in/of CMC (esp. the pragmatic aspect of online communication) and
the subject was:
"An Interdisciplinary Study of Computer-mediated Communication. The
Language of the Internet on the basis of selected services /MU*s, IRC,
mailing lists/"

I am now heading for my PhD and my focus is still on the pragmatics of CMC
- namely, the language as it appears on the internet and as it is used by
the users. I have most probably less to say in this field than my educated
Linguist List friends :-) but still, CMC is what has been going on my mind
since two years or so. You will soon be able to find more about me and my
fields of academic interest at my homepage (hoping to update it and finish
it soon).
Wishing all the best to the rest of the "discoursion list" members ;->>>

tafn mike