CDA

el don eldon at GOL.COM
Mon Jan 11 15:38:04 UTC 1999

At 12:01 10/1/99, David Stacey wrote:

>>I was wondering if either of you or anyone else on the list has used CDA in
>>an undergraduate writing classroom, or any other kind of undergraduate
>>class?  I'm especially interested in how it can be used in a pedagogy that
>>focuses on _producing_ text, rather than "just" analysis of others' texts.
>
>I''ve done some pretty informal things with bits and pieces of Fairclough's
>_Language and Power_.   Mostly with Chapter 4, "Discourse, Common Sense and
>Ideology."  This in an Advanced Composition course, with "traditionally
>unprepared" students--who had never really heard the word "ideology" before
>much less studied it or its relevance to their daily lives.
<snip>
>With Rob Pope, as I've mentioned before, you get a whole lot more of
>activity-based explanations of critical discourse, and then he gets the
>students honestly and fully involved.  So once again I'd mention that if
>you like Fairclough, go to Pope to see what you can do in a classroom with
>this material.

Gunther Kress in "Linguistic processes in sociocultural practice" (Deakin
University. 1985 - although I think it's been republished since then by
another publisher)
outlines some applications of CDA approaches to the study of discourse
'genres' within high school classrooms. He gives examples of texts of
various kinds (textbooks of science and history, a radio interview
transcript etc) and points to ways these can be analysed for classroom
use...

of course, the original question was about using the perspectives of CDA in
composition classes....was it not?...
i'd be interested to hear reports, or other pointers to work done in this
area myself,
especially wrt EFL classes.
meantime, searching for rob pope's book.
david, would you mind giving the complete reference again?

regards,
lexie

----
alexanne don