Julie's invocation of the unconscious

Julie Ingleton julieip at DIESEL.NET.AU
Wed Jan 13 20:14:59 UTC 1999

David
I must state from the outset that i am still not completely clear as to what
it is you are doing in relation to the computer equiptment .

Also my immediate thought was that to answer your question it would need to
be looked at in context. I mean a person would need to have an understanding
of Japanese society and understand who are the  people attending your
performance.

I am going to attempt to describe it in four steps.The fourth step i do not
see in your performance but i think is a necessary part of the sequence.

I will describe the four steps as this;   4.   reconciliation,  3.
creativity,  2.relaxation,  1.non-purposive state.

Now i will relate them to what you do in a performance David.

4. reconciliation - this relates to what David Samuals wrote o the 12th.
"Freud and Werthiemer (not to mentionLevi-Strauss, and lets addHegel...)
assert thatthere is a subcoscious desire resolution,tranquility, the good
form. "ect.

Yung  believes  that in order for there to be reconciliation ther needs to
be (3.) creativity;

Winnicott (1971) states, to be creative you need to be (2.) relaxed;

Winnicott (1971)states to be relaxed  you need to be in a (1.)
non-purposive state;  He descrbes this as "not having purpose... person must
be allowed to communicate a succession of ideas ,thoughts, impulses,
sensations, that are not linked accept in a neurological way, or
physiological, or perhaps undetected."

David, I see you in a position where you need to be creative, and therefore
need to find a non-purposive state, and as you said you were anxious in your
performance, (at least in the beginning), you would need to find a way to
relax, to get creative,   you describe your 'immediate arbitrary
consciousness' and 'scribbles' ect and this is where i see you gaining a
non-purposive state.

I am now going to make a desparate attempt to bring in the word 'discourse,
as i am uncomfortable with it's absence.

firstly i see discourse happening in the fourth step of reconciliation ( see
David samuals on the 12th jan.)  where there is a dialogue between the
subconscious - the creative object and the - conscious. This is a continuing
circular discourse., where conscious knowledge is brought in to the new
found knowledge brought out by the creativity.

secondly; what is described in the non-purposive state  you could say was
happening earlier in this list.  I'm afraid i can't remember who it was, and
i don't have time to look it up as i have three pre-school age children
waiting with mouths open to be fed and a husband saying "what are you doing
on that computer" but, someone, spoke of discourse as being a conversion
within ones self, talking to ones self, and refered to somebody else who was
sorting out her thoughts as she wrote, doing her thinking as she wrote.

 my opologies if this is disjointed,

gotta go.
julie.