Reality -- what a concept.

Ava Rosenblum avar at TIGGER.OSLC.ORG
Wed Jan 13 23:03:35 UTC 1999

Wow, Lloyd Bitzer!!! I haven't heard that name in 20 years. What an
important work he wrote.

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Seth L. Kahn-Egan wrote:

> If you look at the Vatz article, you might also need to look at Lloyd
> Bitzer's "The Rhetorical Situation," which Vatz is responding to.
>
> Bitzer, Lloyd.  "The Rhetorical Situation."  _Philosophy and Rhetoric 1.1_
> (1968):  1-14.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing what anybody has to say about these two
> pieces; I've had a feeling that Vatz misreads Bitzer, but my classmates
> and professor seem to think that I misread Bitzer instead.  Before I
> recount that discussion, I'd like to hear what others think (or at least
> if anybody else is interested in talking about it).

I was a speech-communication student at Penn State in 1976 when I read
Bitzer, so please help me refresh my memory. (I'm a sociologist now. ;-))
was Bitzer's phrase "imperfetion marked by urgency"?

ava (rosenblum)
very recent Ph.D. in sociology