Introduction

Holger Schauer Holger.Schauer at GMX.DE
Mon Jan 18 17:01:25 UTC 1999

Hello !

I'm heading for PhD in Computational Linguistics at the University of
Freiburg, Germany, in the context of the post graduate program on
"Human and Machine Intelligence" here.

My main interest is the knowledge-based analysis of discourse
structure in written texts. More specifically, the group I'm working
in operates on a set of computer-related texts and texts from
medical-diagnosis. My focus is on a formal definition for some of
those notions which have been coined discourse- or
coherence-relations, as in RST. My current literature includes work by
Hobbs, Polanyi, Asher and Marcu (as well as some others), more
recently Bateman and Webber/Gardent. I am still looking through a lot
of literature, so if somebody has some good ideas where else to look
(especially if someone knows about implemented systems), I would be
very interested to hear them.

Before, I have been studying Computer Science at the University of
Koblenz, Germany, with a focus on Computational Linguistics. I also
worked at the german national research institute GMD on the
applicability of first-order theorem proving for User-Modeling.

I am also interested in dynamic semantics in the sense of Heim, Kamp
and Groenendijk, Veltman etc. and the analysis and use of
presuppositions.

Holger

PS:Note to Luuk Lagerwerf: I just found your thesis on the net, sounds
very interesting to me.
--
Holger Schauer                         CLIF - Computational Linguistic Lab
                                       Freiburg University, Germany