Introduction

Michal Lisecki magura at SAURON.DEMO.PL
Mon Jan 18 20:10:30 UTC 1999

huh :-/ this is my second attempt at introducing myself and as I had almost
a week time since i subscribed to this group i realized i'm not the only
one who just did not get his/her own introduction sent to the server...is
there any filtering method employed which is responsible for that?

Anyway, I am a linguist (wow! sounds great but so what?) and my main
interest is in the field of CMC (Computer-mediated Communication) and it's
various aspects (pragmatics, sociolinguistics, etc.). Just like some other
subscribers, i guess, I was thinking of making my participation here a part
of my own research/analysis of online discourse on the DISCOURS list ;->.
I have already done some research in email exchanges a as a form of
conversation, especially as they appear in mailing list discussions.
However, my main concern are synchronous chat modes.

So here I am :-) a not-THAT-shy guy from Poland wanting to share his
experience and knowledge (hmmm if any ;->) with others interested in the
study of discourse.
I have just graduated from the University of Silesia, Poland (Dep. of the
English Language, Institute of Linguistics). My thesis was about the
language in/of CMC (esp. the pragmatic aspect of online communication) and
the subject was:
"An Interdisciplinary Study of Computer-mediated Communication. The
Language of the Internet on the basis of selected services /MU*s, IRC,
mailing lists/"

I am now heading for my PhD and my focus is still on the pragmatics of CMC
- namely, the language as it appears on the internet and as it is used by
the users. I have most probably, less to say in this field than my educated
Linguist List friends :-) but still, CMC is what has been going on my mind
since two years or so. You will soon be able to find more about me and my
fields of academic interest at my homepage (hoping to update and finish it
soon).

Wishing all the best to the rest of the "discours-ion list" members ;->>>

tafn mike