Introduction

David Pruett jayhawk at POP.TAMU.EDU
Tue Jan 19 21:24:37 UTC 1999

> Welcome to DISCOURS!

thanks.

> Please let us know you've joined the list by posting an introduction
> (with
> the subject heading "Introduction") after reading this message.

ok.  i am dave pruett, phd student at texas a+m univ in college station.  i
will soon be working on my dissertation on american indian autobiographies.
i am studying in the english dept, with a discourse studies emphasis.

> We encourage the discussion of theoretical, methodological, practical,
> and
> other issues related to the study of discourse, including such questions
> as: What is discourse? How does it relate to other concepts such as text,
> ideology, structure, culture? What do we mean by discourse studies? How
> do
> various fields undertake the study of discourse? How can discourse be
> investigated from an interdisciplinary perspective? What is gained and
> lost
> in an interdisciplinary approach?

i like terry eagleton's "definition" of discourse studies in _literary
theory: an introduction_.

> after reading this message please introduce yourself with an initial
> posting to the list (with the subject heading "Introduction") describing
> your academic background, present position, and research projects, as
> well
> as other relevant details.

i like to take things apart, to see what makes them work.  what makes
words, sentences, speeches, gestures, facial expressions work?  well, get
out the tools and disassemble them.  heh heh

>DISCOURS is an unmoderated list sponsored by the program in Discourse
>Studies in the Department of English at Texas A&M University, It is the
>brainchild of Anthony Aristar, formerly of Texas A&M and now at Wayne
>State
>University. We gratefully acknowledge his support and the technical
>support
>of the LINGUIST List.

i want to take this opportunity to thank anthony aristar for encouraging me
to learn html code.