L2 Discourse Syllabus?

Yasuhisa Watanabe yasu_watanabe at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 25 06:10:41 UTC 1999

Dear Jeff

Firstly my apology for not replying earlier. I only check my e-mail
account a few times a week.
I must admit that I mainly teach advanced level students at my
university. I agree with you (and probably many other L2 teachers on the
list) that discourse centred language syllabus may not be the best way
to teach a L2.
Perhaps what I do in regard to "discourse" in my class is the additional
element to the normal language teaching. I include many conversational
skills practice in my teaching, such as role-play and language drama. I
observe the students' discourse (mainly their speech acts) in their
role-plays. I also include exam questions similar to "discourse
completion" method of gathering discourse information from native
speakers. (If you are not familiar with the method, Kasper and Dahl
(1991) outline them. See below.)
Unfortunately, my program is not on the web yet. I will let you know
when it is.

Regards,

Yasuhisa Watanabe

Kasper, G. & Dahl, M. (1991). "Research Methods in Interlanguage
Pragmatics." STUDIES IN SECOND LANGAUGE ACQUISITION, vol.13, no.2,
pp.215-47.