Fw: re: julie's invocation of the unconscious

Julie Ingleton julieip at DIESEL.NET.AU
Tue Jan 26 00:33:04 UTC 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Julie Ingleton <julieip at diesel.net.au>
To: discous at listserv.linguistlist.org <discous at listserv.linguistlist.org>
Date: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 11:30 AM
Subject: Fw: re: julie's invocation of the unconscious

-----Original Message-----
From: Julie Ingleton <julieip at diesel.net.au>
To: discours at listservl.linguistlist.org <discours at listservl.linguistlist.org>
Date: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 11:27 AM
Subject: re: julie's invocation of the unconscious

David Divisio,
You wrote,
"Maybe you could help me with a really simple definition of discourse."

A particular type of communication.

A way of thinking, talking, and speaking, about something, (a subject, a topic, a situation.)
A particular mindset when approaching a topic.

May develop out of ideologies, personal or of a group.

When i was speaking of discourse i was referring to the 'things' or the signs (the signifiers or representers) used to communicate. i.e. the signs the communicater uses and the things the reciever uses to   interpret the communication.

I wrote " circular discourse, where conscious knowledge is brought in to the new found knowledge brought out by the creativity."

You wrote, "So are you saying what comes out of the computer is meeting my knowledge and creativity is the link."

Yes, sort of,
What i meant was
you have your own history and knowledge, using that you creatively, unconsciously or consciously pick out words, scribbles, enter them into the computer, the computer does what it does, and  what comes out of the computer is interpreted  creatively by any observer including yourself, within their own discourse, using their own thoughts, views, ideologies.

I don't know what happens with the computer, but i don't think it is possible to say the computer is creative.

Julie