Defining discourse -Reply

Wannie Carstens AFNWAMC at PUKNET.PUK.AC.ZA
Tue Jan 26 07:57:34 UTC 1999

HI THERE!

THIS DISCUSSION IS GOING IN A VERY INTERESTING DIRECTION.  THE
DEFINITION OF  THE TERM/CONCEPT "DISCOURSE" HAS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR QUITE
A LONG TIME - JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THE LITERATURE ON IT.  IN A BOOK
(UNFORTUNATELY FOR MAYBE THE MOST FOR YOU BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN IN
AFRIKAANS) I PUBLISHED IN 1997 I TRIED TO MAKE SOME SENSE OF IT WITH
REFERENCE TO SOURCES LIKE BROWN & YULE 1983, COOK 1989, HATCH 1992,
MCCARTHY 1991, ETC.).  BUT DESPITE THIS - AFTER COMPLETING THE BOOK - I
CAME ACROSS THE BOOK "DISCOURSE" BY SARA MILLS (1997; ROUTLEDGE) AND IN
THE FIRST CHAPTER SHE GIVES A NICE AND VERY USEFUL OVERVIEW OF THE TERM
'DISCOURSE" WHICH I WISH I HAD WHILE WRITING THE BOOK!  I REALLY
RECOMMEND IT.  I TRUST MY SHORT INPUT IN THE DEBATE WILL HELP SOMEONE...

WANNIE CARSTENS

Prof. Wannie Carstens
Vakgroep Afrikaans en Nederlands/Section Afrikaans and Dutch
Skool vir Tale en Kunste/School for Languages and Arts
Potchefstroomse Universiteit vir CHO/Potchefstroom University for CHE
POTCHEFSTROOM 2520
Suid-Afrika/South Africa

Tel. +27 (0)18 299-1485/6 (W)
Faks/Fax +27 (0)18 299-1562
E-pos/E-mail: AFNWAMC at PUKNET.PUK.AC.ZA

>>> Bruce McComiskey <mccomisk at UAB.EDU> 26/January/1999 12:51am >>>
All,
 Wow!  Define "discourse"!  I think there are hundreds of equally-valid
definitions, most of which are discipline-specific.