Introduction

Phil Gaines gaines at ENGLISH.MONTANA.EDU
Tue Jan 26 15:46:55 UTC 1999

Georgina,

You should be able to get your hands on the journal Social Semiotics, since
it's published in Australia.  In 6:2 is an article of mine dealing with the
grammar of credibility assessment in the Hill/Thomas hearings.

In my diss, I look at how courtroom attorneys create representations through
the questions they ask.  I've discovered that this is something that has
only been glanced at in the discourse analytic literature on courtroom
language.

Have you seen Peter Tiersma's new book _Legal Language_, published by
University of Chicago Press?  A nice primer.

Phil