Defining discourse

Christian Kjaer Nelson cnelson at COMM.UMASS.EDU
Tue Jan 26 21:47:40 UTC 1999

At 09:25 PM 1/26/99 +0000, Zouhair wrote:
>    Notice that I have deliberately avoided talking about a definition of
>discourse. Is a definition desirable? Would a definition be possible in the
>presence of an ever-increasing number of discourse-as-utterance discourses?
>Would a definition be useful in the light of this diversity of discourses,
>which show adopt different moves, strategies, plans, goals, etc.? What plus
>would such a definition give to DISCOURSE? I think that DISCOURSE is
>utterances, and the the subfields of DISCOURSE define themselves according
>to registers, moves, goals, methodologies, etc.

This seems to suggest that the only kind of definition possible is one that
is "synthetic"--i.e., one that empirically describes a thing to which it is
attached.  One need not take this approach to defintions; one can take an
"analytic" approach to definitions, conceiving them as statements which
teach the use of the term through specification of its verbal equivalents,
etc.  Certainly it is useful to teach persons our, or the possible, uses of
a term.

Christian Nelson

Dr. Christian K. Nelson
Communication Department, Machmer Hall