INTRODUCTION

Brian Torode btorode at TCD.IE
Wed Jan 27 22:01:14 UTC 1999

I have recently joined the "DISCOURS" list. My interests include:
conversation analysis, discourse analysis, narrative analysis, popular
culture, consumerism, consumer society, complaints, and the use of humour
in complaining.

My most recent publication is: Torode, B. (1998) Narrative Analysis Using
Code-a-Text.  Qualitative Health Research  8.3 : 414-432.

My main ongoing project is a study of telephone calls to an official Dublin
"Consumer Affairs" helpline. For more details, see Torode, B. (1995)
"Negotiating 'advice' in a call to a consumer helpline."  The Discourse of
Negotiation: studies of language in the workplace.  Ed. A. Firth.  Oxford:
Pergamon.  345-372.

I am currently reading the book, NARRATIVE PSYCHOLOGY: THE STORIED NATURE
OF HUMAN CONDUCT, edited by Theodore R. Sarbin (Praeger 1986), especially
the chapter by Gergen & Gergen on "Narrative Form and the Construction of
Psychological Science" which examines the evaluations accomplished by
story-telling. I should like to hear from anyone who has used this approach
in the last ten years, or who has arguments for or against this approach

         Brian Torode
         Sociology
         Trinity College
         Dublin, 2, Ireland