Euphemism and metaphor

zmaalej zmaalej at GNET.TN
Tue Jul 13 15:59:40 UTC 1999

To Thomas,
The reason I invoked the Pinochet case was because Celso was trying in his
post to show how what was happening in Kosovo is different from what caused
the collapse and extradition of General Pinochet, namely, "ethnic cleansing"
vs. "genocide." And I persist in thinking that "ethnic cleansing" is a
euphemism for "genocide."

I agree with you, however, that murders denounced should not presuppose that
undenounced ones are less important, or are to be accepted; murder is murder
everywhere on earth. What, I think, is creating this sort of situation is
the media's selectivity or even bias toward one event instead of the other.

Zouhair Maalej,
Department of English Chair,
Faculty of Letters, Manouba, 2010,
University of Tunis I, TUNISIA.

Office Phone: (+216) 1 600 700 Ext. 174
Home Tel/Fax: (+216) 1 362 871
Email: zmaalej at gnet.tn

There are four kinds of people: a man who knows and knows that he does; such
a man is a man of knowledge, so follow his steps. A man who knows but
doesn't know that he does; such a man is unmindful, so wake him up.  A man
who doesn't know but knows that he doesn't; such a man is ignorant, so
educate him. And a man who doesn't know and doesn't know that he doesn't;
such a man is definitely a fool, so avoid his company. (Ancient Arabic
saying)