illocutionary "force"

Flink flink23 at IBM.NET
Thu Jul 29 14:26:15 UTC 1999

Jerrold Sadock's "Speech act distinctions in grammar", in
*Linguistics: The Cambridge Survey* (Cambridge University Press,
1988, Frederick Newmeyer, ed)--mainly valuable for the bibliography.

P.F. Strawson's "Intention and Convention in Speech Acts", in his
*Logico-Linguistic Papers* (Metheun & Co, 1971--distributed in
America by Harper & Row).  (Originally printed in *The Philosophical
Review*, Vol lxxiii, 1964.)

I have a # of others, but I'm currently on the road & can't call any to
mind--drop me a note off-list if you wd like me to run them down
when I get back home.  Hope these help...

On 28 Jul 99, at 12:49, Christian Kjaer Nelson wrote:

> Sorry for cross-postings, but I'm looking for bib. info. for publications which comment on Austin's and Searle's use of the term "force" when discussing illocutionary force or point.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Christian Nelson

Flink
"I *need* information, I *want* money...I *must* kill pigs."  --HST
http://www.daft.com/~flink