Introduction

Marian May marian at COOMBS.ANU.EDU.AU
Fri Jun 4 01:38:51 UTC 1999

Hello list members,
A brief introduction:
Current work: I'm working on my PhD thesis in demography with the topic
"How women talk in interviews about having children". I'm using
Conversation Analysis (talk-in-interaction) to look at interaction between
respondents and interviewer in survey interviews on children (conducted
within a 10-year longitudinal Australian nation-wide telephone survey) -
how does the number get circled by the interviewer? I'm also looking at the
resources used by the women in carrying out the interviews (laughter, for
example).
General: I'm on leave from my job at present to get some work done on my
thesis away from the demands of work - which is working with students on
post-graduate discourse (spoken and written genres) in demography. This is
a discipline-specific context and proving quite an effective model in
several areas of the ANU. Many, but by no means all, of these graduate
students are international students. I have also been working on a research
project on Children's work and schooling in Eastern Indonesia.

Looking forward to postings!
Marian May