Metaphor and Euphemism

eubanks philip tb0pee1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Sat Jun 26 22:40:59 UTC 1999

>Could anyone be so kind and explain to me how 'metaphor' and 'euphemism'
>are related?  In which way are they similar and in which ways do they
>differ? Is euphemism a kind of metaphor?
>Dina
>kath2 at zedat.fu-berlin.de

Dina,

I haven't run across a specific answer to your question, but I would observe
that in the metaphor theory I have read, there is a preoccupation with
defining metaphor and its particular characteristics.  A good deal of effort
has gone into distinguishing metaphor from simile--or into explaining why
there is no real distinction.

With respect to euphemisism, I have this thought to offer, for what it's
worth.  If you accept the most common definition of metaphor, you could call
some euphemisms metaphor.  But it seems to me you would always have to
determine case-by-case which are decidedly metaphoric.

That is, most metaphor theorists define metaphor as the structuring of one
domain of experience by another.  (I'm thinking particularly of the
definition provided by Lakoff, Johnson, Turner.)  So if we have a metaphor
such as The Conduit Metaphor (as Reddy discusses it), we structure our
understanding of Language in terms of a conduit.  The logic of containment,
transfer, and giving/receiving apply to Language, and it becomes what it is,
in part, by virtue of the metaphor.

Some euphemisms might do the same thing but not all.  For example, we no
longer say "crippled" because of its derogatory connotation and substitute
the euphemism "disabled."  Under the prevailing definition, this euphemism
doesn't seem to be metaphoric.  "Disabled" doesn't bring to bear a second
domain of experience.  To take another example, Democrats have lately
dropped "gun control" and substituted the euphemism "gun safety."  If a
second domain of experience is brought to bear by this, it's not readily
apparent to me.  (Perhaps after one more cup of coffee all will become clear.)

On the other hand, when we say "correctional facility" instead of "prison,"
I suspect the substitution functions metaphorically.  We never lose the
original idea of confinement and punishment, but it is now structured by the
logic of error.  Of course, the change in name probably coincides with
actual institutional changes (or hoped-for changes).  "Work farm" for
"prison" is even more obviously metaphoric.  "Up the river" would not be a
metaphor.  It's more of an avoidance of naming.

Also, long-established synonyms suggest alternate metaphoric structures.  An
example that comes to mind is "shortcoming" for "fault."  They are synonyms,
and--to my ear--"shortcoming" is euphemistic.  The words call upon different
structures, "shortcoming" having to do with reaching or journeying but
"fault" having to do with defect, possibly a mechanical  metaphor.

'Hope these thoughts are of some use.

Phil

Philip Eubanks
Northern Illinois University