Euphemism and Metaphor

Mark Moore mark.moore at MAILBOX.UQ.EDU.AU
Sun Jun 27 06:43:23 UTC 1999

Celso Alvarez Caccamo wrote:

>On the contrary, arguments have been raised (f.ex. by Chomsky
>in Znet, http://www.zmag.org) that the atrocities by the
>Serbian military and paramilitary forces were *semantically
>upgraded* to "ethnic cleansing" -- exactly the opposite of
>euphemism.

I was intrigued to hear that Chomsky was explicitly straying into
sociolinguistic territory.  I scanned "Deterring Democracy" for similar
explicit linguistic (as opposed to political) analysis for a (only
half-sarcastic) quote for a review of an anthropological linguistics
conference. Chomsky in that book from my cursory reading only analyzed
language in a very general way. Can anyone suggest similar quotes from any
other of his books where he might comment on language in the way that
Celso's quote suggests?