Looking for Editor/Annotationtool

Holger Schauer schauer at COLING.UNI-FREIBURG.DE
Tue Mar 2 19:00:42 UTC 1999

Hello !

I currently would like to analyse a couple of texts with a variety of
theories, such as RST, Hobbs, Asher/Lascarides and Martin. I would
like to help save a tree and do the work on a computer.

Essentially, I would like to have a simple segmentation mechanism
that allows me to insert marks where I believe a new segment starts
and that allows me to somehow "connect" those segments with a
relation, best chosen from some menu.

The relations shouldn't be hardcoded, as I would like to compare
several approaches (see above).

On my wish list for such a thing is also the possibility to annotate,
at least graphically mark some parts of the text, for example for
marking cue-phrases.

I already know of the RSTTool from Mick O'Donnell (see
http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/daidb/people/homes/micko/RSTTool/Manual.html),
but I find it a bit buggy and lacking (one cannot annotate or mark
anything). I also can not see how to add some new kinds of relation
types (in RST terminology schemas) without programming.

If somebody knows of another tool, please point me to it.

The other possibilty would be to roll my own such tool. I would
probably use SchemeTk for that. Any volunteers ?

Holger

PS: I forgot, I work in a Unix environment.
 There is a Win*PC here, but ...

--
Holger Schauer                         CLIF - Computational Linguistic Lab
                                       Freiburg University, Germany