Quoted text

Mark Moore mark.moore at MAILBOX.UQ.EDU.AU
Thu Mar 25 11:42:15 UTC 1999

Hi everyone

As I said in my intro, I'm studying a large legal text.  I'm interested if
anyone has some citations for material quoted in text.  Quotation is marked
in English speech by lexical cues, intonation, imitation, and even strange
hand-signals.  Yet in text, the writer is restricted to "scare marks" (" ")
which are also used to indicate strangeness (in the mind of the writer),
like putting scare marks around the term scare marks.  Is their a connection
between the two usages?