A problem with an analysis in terms of RST

Gisela Redeker G.Redeker at LET.RUG.NL
Wed Nov 17 18:29:53 UTC 1999

On 21 Oct 99, at 11:16, Holger Schauer wrote:
>  GR> If that is true, we should not expect a strong rhetorical
>  GR> relation between these two paragraphs. As I have argued elsewhere
>  GR> (Redeker 1996/forthcoming), RST lacks special 'machinery' to
>  GR> handle genre-specific structures (where sequential relations
>  GR> between text segments are defined in terms of the structural
>  GR> elements expected, and not in terms of content or argumentation),
>
> I would be very interested in these "elsewheres" :-)

Sorry for the long silence -- was bogged down for a while with
too many urgencies & 'emergencies'.

The two references are actually pretty much the same paper.
I have put a postscript file with the latest version on the web at:
	http://www.let.rug.nl/~redeker/publ.html

I am still planning to follow up on the analysis of the newspaper
commentary we were discussing. Having seen the whole text
(Holger had only given us a part of it), I'm pretty sure I can come up
with an RST-analysis and it will almost certainly differ from
Holger's own. I'll discuss this off-list with Holger (if and when I find
time in early December) unless there's interest in having this rather
technical discussion on the list.

Gisela

Gisela Redeker, Professor, Dept. of Language and Communication
University of Groningen,  P.O.Box 716,  NL-9700 AS Groningen
tel:  +31-50-3635973/-5858     fax:  +31-50-3636855
e-mail: G.Redeker at let.rug.nl   http://www.let.rug.nl/~redeker/