Bibliography Discourse Analysis of News in the Media

Teun A. van Dijk teun at HUM.UVA.NL
Wed Nov 24 19:19:26 UTC 1999

BIBLIOGRAPHY DISCOURSE ANALYSIS OF NEWS IN THE MEDIA

Following Waleed Al-Amri's request, I did a search in my Big
Bibliography for discourse analytical studies of news in the media.
After eliminating most spurious items, it may be worthwhile for people
working in this area. It has about 370 items, in various languages, both
articles and books. Instead of appending the bibliography to this
message, I put it on my homepage (address see below), under Unpublished
Work. Of course this version is far from complete, and I would welcome
additions and corrections.

Apart from the earlier books Waleed mentions, the most recent book on
news discourse analysis I am aware of is the one edited by Allan Bell
and Peter Garrett, Approaches to media discourse. Oxford: Blackwell.

Apart from the many articles in the bibliography I posted on my website,
discourse analytic studies of the news regularly appear in DISCOURSE &
SOCIETY and DISCOURSE STUDIES.

Teun A. van Dijk
University of Amsterdam
Program of Discourse Studies

1999-2000:

Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Institut Universitari de Lingüística Aplicada (IULA)
La Rambla 32
08002 Barcelona, Spain

Phone: +34-93-272.1200 (home)
FAX:   +34-93-272.0106 (home)