Introduction

Honoria Guarino vast at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Oct 5 22:22:52 UTC 1999

Hello, I am a new member of the list and here's my introduction:

I'm a linguistic anthropology student (at the University of Arizona)
working on my dissertation research. My project is concerned with the
verbal construction of self among people with HIV/AIDS who are clients of a
major AIDS service organization in New York City. More particularly, I'm
interested in verbal interactions between clients and staff members of such
organizations and how these interactions work to construct and enact both
clients' sense of themselves as a "person with AIDS" and the organizations'
mission and service delivery.

To make this relevant to the topic of the list, I see the concept of
"discourse" as potentially applicable in two ways. One is the more concrete
spoken "discourse" that I'm recording and attempting to analyze; and the
other, the more abstract "discourses" of AIDS, identity, bureaucracy, etc.
that are created in this speech and are to some degree consistent across
discrete enactments.

Thanks, Honoria Guarino

To get random signatures put text files into a folder called "Random
Signatures" into your Preferences folder.