discourse science and spectacle

John Rooney rooneyj at COOLEY.EDU
Mon Oct 11 19:12:52 UTC 1999

Please forgive me for reviving an old thread.
Brazil is industrial and much more violent than the USA.
Michigan, where I live, has never had the death penalty.
Michigan became a state in 1837 or thereabouts [thenabouts?], some
years sooner than Italy.
I agree with Sr Volli that the discourse list is not the best place
to discuss gun control in America.

At 18.41 23/04/99 -0600, you wrote:
>ugo,
>
>{lease define the discourse science which does not allow for
hegemonic
>critique?  My work on discouse comes from a more critical amd
postmodern
>theory of discourse. I intended it as a commont on Debord (1967)
Society of
>the Spectacle.  I did not mean it to be a spam to you. I did find
Celso'
>hegemonic reading of the text very interesting science work. Perhaps
our
>definitions of discourse science are not the same.
>
>Anyway, have a terrific day.
>
>david

Dear David,
every communication is a discours, and everything that matters is
communicated. So everything can be considered as a discours. But,
from a
pragmatic point of view,a list about averything does not work.
Therefor, I believe, we have to limit ourself to our main item.
Speaking
here about whatever relevant item simply does not work. If you wont
discuss Amerciacn politics or society, you will easily find proper
space on
the internet.
That's my opinion. Maybe I am wrong and the main purpose of this list
is
considering the sociology of violence and war. In that case, you have
speak and I have to look for another place for
linguistic/methodologic
information. Just let me know.

ugo

PS. By the way, I am happy to live in a country as Italy, where
peaplo is
not allowed in general to carry guns and where death penality was
abolished
50 years ago...