re mumbling

WIDMER Jean jean.widmer at UNIFR.CH
Fri Feb 4 15:23:02 UTC 2000

I agree with your remark, D. Smith. I was using the re-interpretation of
Bernstein's work in Bourdieu's terms (Bourdieu, P., Boltanski, L. 1975 "Le
fétichisme de la langue" Actes de la Recherche en Sciences Sociales, n°4, p.
2-33, a discussion of Bernstein and Labov), where the way one speaks is both
tied to one's social origin as an habitus (Bernstein) and to the way it is
categorised by others as belonging to that social status.

The next step is to observe that groups may produce speaking styles in order
to achieve a valued social distinction : the speaking style identifies group
membership and proposes it as a valuated difference in the judgment of
others. Why the difference should be a valuated difference has to do with
the other features of one's social position. I don't know about linguistic
examples of Bourdieu for that point, but his analysis of the changing
preference for types of sports, where higher people change their preferences
as soon as their usual sport get prefered by lower class people, would be an
example.

Bourdieu used that kind of analysis both to show how people coming from
lower status could be identified by others as such although they were using
high style speaking, because some feature of their original habitus is still
observable by members, - and how e.g. politicians of high social status may
speak "popular" still displaying their higher origin.

Professeur Jean Widmer
Département sociologie et média
Université de Fribourg - Miséricorde
CH - 1700 FRIBOURG (Suisse)