'cumulative effect' in news reports

Waleed Al-Amri MCUIGWA2 at FS1.CCL.UMIST.AC.UK
Mon Feb 21 15:04:48 UTC 2000

Dear all,

During my study of a corpus of news reports on a highly-charged issue
that spread over a long period of time, I have noticed that
the idelogical stances in these reports 'slackened' with time, so to
speak. I must also hasten to stress that it is not the overall
ideological stance that relaxed but it is, in general, the usage of some highly-
charged ideolgical vocaulary (for instace, papers that were keen on
using the sign 'weapons of mass destruction' to underline thier
danger, replaced them with 'banned weapons' thus borrowing the
language of the opposition, and vice versa).

I really could not find any writings that address this particular
issue which I find attributable to the 'cumulative affect' of the day
in day out grounding of idelogical stances in the media.

If you have any pointers in this directions, please forward them to
me.

Cheers!
71 Cooper House,
Camelfrod Close,