You're wet/bleeding

randall henry eggert rheggert at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Jul 25 13:02:47 UTC 2000

I'd like to add something to Larry LaFond's response. I agree that we can
get at least a partial explanation for the two examples via Grice's
maxims; however, even if we couldn't, I don't think it would pose a
problem for Grice's program. Grice wrote in 'Logic and Conversation'
(Grice 1989: 28):

	"There are, of course, all sorts of other maxims (aesthetic,
	social, or moral in character), such as 'Be polite,' that are
	also normally observed by participants in talk exchanges,
	and these may also generate nonconventional implicatures."

Grice stated his maxims as if the purpose "were a maximally effective
exchange of information," but he implies that other purposes may warrant
other maxims. Thus, Brown and Levinson's work on Politeness is not in any
sense at odds with Grice's program.

I believe there are some valid theoretical problems with Grice's theory,
but it is  rather hard to find data that serve as  counter-examples. This
is mostly because of the nature of the theory, which is not particularly
predictive. It is also because Grice's program as he states it is mostly a
sketch. To my mind, Grice never intended the 4 maxims as written to be
taken too seriously. They were provisory, a first stab at describing the
process. Most important to the theory is his distinction
between 'what is said' and 'what is conveyed'. Any successful attack on
Grice's theory will ultimately have to show that there is a problem with
the way Grice makes that distinction.

Happiness,
Randall Eggert