You're wet/bleeding

Kate Hickerson khh at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Jul 31 19:31:18 UTC 2000

Greg,

This is somewhat along the lines of the Tannen discussion you've already
mentioned, but have you considered looking at Harvey Sacks' work on
"noticings"? I don't have the exact reference available right now, but I
remember that he discusses how every interactent brings a number of
candidate topics to a conversation, and through the conversational device
of a "noticing" (such as, "You have new shoes!") another interactent
realizes that topic.

Just a thought,
Kate