query on CMC studies

Gad (Quentin) Jones qgjones at ACM.ORG
Thu Jun 8 22:35:21 UTC 2000

Hi Don,

> can anyone point me in the direction of comprehensive listings of
> recent publications in the research area of email-list interaction? i
> know that many of the list members are involved in this type of text
> analysis.

I am finishing off my PhD where I am analysing over 1.5 million email messages
sent to 780 lists (I subscribed to well over 1000).  I have a number of recent
publications dealing with email lists but I have not found a single paper that lists the
majority of them comprehensively.  I will be writing up a review paper soon.
Perhaps you wish to share notes?

Further, my email message database is stored in oracle with various search
possibilities along with 3.5 million usenet messages collected from 600 usenet
groups over 7 months (6 months used for my analysis).  For the purpose of
comparative analysis with email discourse.

I will be happy to cooperate with other researchers out there that are interested in
analysizing such data. You can read about this data set at:
http://modiin.haifa.ac.il/spheres/qgjones/professional/publications/Recentpubs.htm

Jones Q., "An Empirical Investigation of Boundaries to Virtual Public Discourse
Structure". In Proceedings of ACM's CHI2000 Conference on Human Factors in
Computing Systems, The Hague, Netherlands. April 2000, ACM Press.

As well as the philosophical justification for my research can be found in a HICSS
paper:
Jones Q., & Rafaeli. S., "What Do Virtual 'Tells' Tell?: Placing cybersociety
research into a hierarchy of social explanation." In Proceedings of the Thirty Third
Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Science (HICSS) Jan. 2000,
IEEE Press.

Regards
Quentin

Quentin (Gad) Jones