discourse from schools textbooks and language learningcoursebooks

Susana Quintas SQ100 at MERCURY.ANGLIA.AC.UK
Thu Jun 15 11:00:56 UTC 2000

Hi Teun,

Thank you for the references you sent me. I am currently using Wodak at al.'s analytical framework with some of my texts. I would be grateful if you could direct me to studies on textbooks and racism/ethnicism, as they may also prove interesting for work on national identity.

Thanks

Susana

<<< "Teun A. van Dijk" <teun at HUM.UVA.NL>  6/15  8:54a >>>
Susana,

I did a search in my Big Bibliography (some 170.000 titles) and nothing came up
for the combined keywords (nationalist or nationalism) and (textbooks or
learning materials), which suggests that there is probably not much, or else
that the studies on that topic use other (key) words in the titles and
descriptors.

See however for a recent CDA study nationalist discourse especially:

Ruth Wodak et al. (1999). The discursive construction of national identity.
Edinburgh: Edinburgh U.P.

also for further references.

Also Michael Billig's book Banal Nationalism (London: Sage, 1995) remains a must
for any study on discours and nationalism.

Of course there are several studies on textbooks and racism/ethnicism, and that
will often imply remarks on national identity, but you may have these references
already.

Teun A. van Dijk
University of Amsterdam
Program of Discourse Studies

2000-2001:

Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Institut Universitari de Lingüística Aplicada (IULA)
La Rambla 32
08002 Barcelona, Spain

Phone: +34-93-272.1200 (home/casa)
FAX:   +34-93-272.0106 (home/casa)