DA vs pragmatics

Elizabeth Traugott traugott at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sun Mar 5 01:06:45 UTC 2000

	I agree with what Gisela Redeker says below, except on one important
point. The study of discourse markers, including connectives like
then, and, etc. is very much associated with DA, see the work
of Deborah Schiffrin, and more recently the large amount
of work on discourse markers and connectives in historical
discourse analysis/pragmatics (e.g. Laurel Brinton, Pragmatic
Markers in English: Grammaticalization and Discourse Functions,
Mouton, 1996, and several papers by myself).
	Elizabeth Traugott