mediation references

Liz Stokoe E.Stokoe at DERBY.AC.UK
Thu Mar 23 10:15:10 UTC 2000

Dear Brian,

here are some relevant mediation refs:

Dingwall, R. & Greatbatch, D. (1993). Who is in charge? Rhetoric and
evidence in the study of mediation. Journal of Social Welfare and Family
Law, 6: 367-385.

Greatbatch, D. & Dingwall, R. (1997). Argumentative talk in divorce
mediation sessions. American Sociological Review, 62: 151-170.

Garcia, A. (1996). Moral reasoning in interactional context: Strategic uses
of care and justice arguments in mediation hearings. Sociological Inquiry,
66(2): 197-214.

Gruber, H. (1998). Disagreeing: Sequential placement and internal structure
of disagreement in conflict episodes. Text, 18(4): 467-503.

Bilmes, J. (1992). Dividing the rice: A microanalysis of the mediator's
role in a Northern Thai negotiation. Language in Society, 21: 569-602.

Payne, K., Kohler, P., Cangemi, J.P. & Fuqua, H. (1998). Communication and
strategies in the mediation of disputes. Journal of Collective
Negotiations, 27(4): 363-382.

Garcia, A. (1995). The problematics of representation in community
mediation hearings: Implications for mediation practice. Journal of
Sociology and Social Welfare, 22(4): 23-46.

Garcia, A. (1991). Dispute resolution without disputing: How the
interactional organisation of mediation hearings minimises argument.
American Sociological Review, 56: 818-835.

Garcia, A. (1997). Interactional constraints on proposal generation in
medition hearings: A preliminary investigation. Discourse and Society,
8(2): 219-247.

Cobb, S. & Rifkin, J. (1991). Neutrality as discursive practice: The
construction and transformation of narratives in community mediation.
Studies in Law, Politics and Society, 11: 69-91.

hope these are useful!!

liz

I am examining the use of perspective display invitations during
>community mediation sessions.  In my work, I am analyzing how the
>mediator seeks one party's perspective of the opposing party's case.  I
>would appreciate any literature citations on their use in an
>institutional setting.  Thanks.
>
>--
>Brian Heisterkamp, Grad. Assoc.
>School of Human Communication
>Arizona State University
>Box 871205
>Tempe, AZ 85287-1205
>
>tel: 480-965-5095 fax: 480-965-4291
>web: www.public.asu.edu/~bheister/
>e-mail: brian.heisterkamp at asu.edu

Dr. Liz Stokoe

Institute of Behavioural Sciences,
University of Derby, Mickleover Campus,                   Derby. DE3 5GX
01332 622222 ext. 2091

Toll House,
Cusop, Hay-on-Wye. HR3 5QZ
01497 821394