Language ideology and pedagogy: Cry for help (fwd)

John Knox johnk at RANGSIT.RSU.AC.TH
Fri Mar 31 19:20:18 UTC 2000

Dear All,

I sent this reply to Mark Peterson earlier in the week. I am forwarding it
to the list, though it is now apparent that this response is not
particularly relevant to Mark's original request.

John

John Knox
English Department, Faculty of Liberal Arts
Rangsit University, Muang Ake, Patum Thani, Thailand 12000
tel: (662)997-2200(-30) ext.1338	fax: (662)533-9470

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:47:14 +0700
To: peterson at AUCEGYPT.EDU
Subject: Re: Language ideology and pedagogy: Cry for help

Dear Mark,

I will also forward this reply to the list on Thursday (when I get back to my office where the original mail, and the list address, awaits me).

My own (coursework) Master's dissertation (Master of Applied Linguistics at Macquarie University, Australia) was titled, _Standing at the portals of power: English language teaching as a foreign gatekeeping encounter_. The argument was that as foreigners in Thailand, native-English-speaking English language teachers here (and, therefore, in similar EFL environments) have control over the discourse of education, and over the passage of students through their education and into the workforce. This means that the students have to negotiate a foreign language, textbooks written by foreigners in (and often for) foreign cultures, and the teaching styles of foreigners who were educated in foreign cultures and still carry much of that educational and other cultural baggage with them. Though my dissertation was about English language education, I believe the argument may be extended to the teaching and learning of other languages, particularly other international languages like Arabic. I'm not sure how much that is in line with what your Arabic tutor plans to do, but my dissertation was well-received and I have been advised to consider having it published.

Below is the abstract, and following that is a selection of items from the bibliography which may be of use to you and your tutor.

Best of luck,
John

Abstract
    This dissertation is a descriptive essay rather than a research report. It takes as its starting point the relationship between English language teachers and their students, and looks at the power relationships between people belonging to these groups, particularly in situations where English is taught and learned as a language foreign to the immediate cultural and social environment. Specfic reference is made throughout to the Department of English, Rangsit University [Thailand].
    Factors affecting the power relationship between teachers and students are considered, including social, linguistic and cultural forces, approaches to teaching and learning and teaching materials. As part of this discussion, an analysis of a sample of text books used in the classroom at Rangsit is made.
    English language education is characterized as part of a perpetual dialectic process by which power relations are created, maintained, opposed and changed between individuals, small groups and entire societies and cultures.
    The importance of culture and context in language use and language learning underpins my argument. In conclusion, I call for greater recognition of the diverse ways of using and learning English in different cultural contexts, and for their integration in the entrenched processes of English language education.

Brumfit, C. 1994. "English language teaching, education and power." _CLE Working Papers,_ 3: 94-105.

Halliday, M.A.K. and R. Hasan. 1989. _Language, Context and Text: Aspects of Language in a Social-Semiotic Perspective._ Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Holliday, A. 1994. _Appropriate Methodology and Social Context._ Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Kramsch, C. 1993. _Context and Culture in Language Teaching._ Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Pennycook, A. 1994. "Incommensurable discourses?" _Applied Linguistics,_ 15: 115-138.

*Smith, L. (ed.), 1983. _Readings in English as an International Language._ Oxford: Pergamon Press.

Thomas, J. 1983. "Cross-cultural pragmatic failure". _Applied Linguistics._ 4: 91-112.

*Tollefson, J. (ed.) 1995. _Power and Inequality in Language Education._ Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

*These two books each have a number of relevant papers.